|For more information on Weston, MO
visit the Visitor’s Center on Main
|all rights reserved
Weston Historical Museum
|Weston Historical Museum
601 Main Street - Weston, MO 64098
727 Thomas Street
The original building was built in the late 1850's for purpose as an Opera
House. Instead it was leased to Mr. Newman who ran a dance hall on the
2nd floor with a livery stable on the first floor.
During the Civil War soldiers occupied the property and when they finally
left the building, legend says they put so many holes in the structure with
bayonets, swords & bullets that it rendered the upper floor unsafe. The
upper room was razed & the roof replaced to make the structure 1 1/2
Simon Renz bought the building in 1884 from D K Cox, who had operated
the livery barn for a good many years. Rentz continued the livery for
May 1887 Renz leased space to Dr. W G Larrabee, Veterinarian.
1914 R R Ramsey, also a veterinarian, replaces Dr Larrabee.
At some point this was the Dietz building where they sold clothing for
gentlemen and workers alike. This may have also been where Dietz first
started a painting shop.
Sept 1923 George Steele rented the building to start a filling station &
garage named Steele's Garage.
1928 F & W Motor Company have their new quarters in the Renz building.
In 1934 Arthur Love leased the building & later purchased it. He and his
son W B (Bill) Love operated a Conoco filling station here.
We believe that Weston Transfer Co. was located here in the 1930's
They later took over the Burlington Truck Lines and operated those for
20 years, at some point changing the name to Love Transfer.
Back at least to between 1948 to 1952, Bill Love & G B Moore ran Love
It was believed, in 1981, some of the Livery Stable walls were still intact in
the south end of the present building.
The American Legion bought the building and owned it until about 1984
when the Bank of Weston purchased the building.
In 1961 it became the 501 Bowling Alley and the properietor was John
Reynozo. He ran the alley for 6 1/2 years.
1967 or 1968 Mr. & Mrs George Rittman leased the building and
continued as a bowling alley but renamed it to Lucky Lanes Bowling.
In 1977 the Rittmans sold the business to Dean McClurg who then
changed the name to Dean's Pro Bowl until 1984.
The Bank then sold the property to Jerry & Suzanne Goodpaster where
he had a cabinet shop. Doug Olsen also had a cabinet shop in the
building for a while. In the front of the building they had the Weston
Furniture Factory. Goodpaster's sold the building to Cloyde Louk who
then opened a bar and grill called The Blue Moon. He leased the building
to Tyson Ross who changed the name to Max's Place a bar & grill which
was just here for a short time.
Louk sold the property to the City of Weston in Sept 2009.
In 2010 the building was razed to make room for a city parking lot. On the
side of the building an advertisement for Dietz Clothing, Suits & Shirts
was still visible.
|Additional Photographs are available. Please
contact the museum for more information.
The details for each property are from research
and local citizen recollections.
If you have any information to share or
corrections, please let us know.