|For more information on Weston, MO
visit the Visitor’s Center on Main
|all rights reserved
Weston Historical Museum
Market Street Overview
- One door west of Main on Market was located in 1854 the United States Hotel, E D
- West Market south side was located Wilkinson Distillery owned by William & Margaret
Wilkinson who came to Weston in the late 1850's. With a partner Captain Charles
Guenther started a small distillery. The Sanborn Maps of 1886 show the building not in
use. The Wilkinson's daughter Grace married Adam Durkes.
- West Market north side of the street mid block stood a warehouse which the Sanborn
maps show there in 1886. This later becomes M S Hardesty Grain House. In 1928 Mrs
Willis Hall purchases it from Hardesty. Then in 1930 she sells to William E Cash & wife
Beulah which they renamed Cash Coal & Grain Co. 710 Market.
- SW Corner of Market & Blackhawk stood the Negro Drug store.
- East Market north side of the street stood the furniture factory.
- Named Furniture Company of Weston. A letterhead shows Sadler Butler as
Superintendent, the Sanborn Fire Maps gives the name as Raliey & Brothers Furniture
Factory. The factory ran from Market to Thomas Street. All that remains of the building
faces on Thomas Street and is the Weston Tobacco Shop.
- The factory burned in 1896 and embers burned Baptist Church and several buildings
along Main Street. On the Market Street end after the fire it became an empty lot which
later became a tennis court and then Twin Gables was built about 1917. It started life as
a dinner & lunch room with Mrs. Joseph Duncan in charge. The dinning room also had
room for dancing. In the 1940-1950's it was home & business to Thomas Bradley. At
one time it was also a garage and service station. In 2012 it is a residence owned by
|Weston Historical Museum
601 Main Street - Weston, MO 64098
a German Lithograph painted late 1800's, depicts Weston, Mo when the town was a busy river port