It’s Your Museum--Enjoy!
By Carolyn A. Larsen, Curator

Since the winter months are upon us, I thought
you might like to see this item from an issue of
January 1,1892 Weston  Chronicle “During the
week considerable ice has been stored away for
the hot summer months. Our local ice dealers
and others who put up their own ice have their
houses well filled.
All week several hundred men have been storing
away ice in the mammoth ice houses of Swift
and Yates at Bean Lake. Considerable ice was
also stored at Sugar Lake by Armour. The firms
at the lakes do nearly all their work by machinery.
The ice is cut by plows operated by steam and is
hoisted to the houses by a chute which runs by
steam. The combined forces at Sugar and Bean
Lakes are putting up not less than 2,000 tons of
ice per day. The cost of cutting and storing the
ice is about 15 cents a ton. It costs the firms
taking ice from the Missouri river about sixty
cents a ton to cut and store it. The ice is from
eight to twelve inches thick and of a clear quality.
If the weather continues cold the K.C. road will
have their hands full in shipping ice to Kansas
City and St. Joseph.”
During the milder weather of October 11, 1940
we read: Lewis Turner and family of Union Star
have recently returned from their vacation trip to
California’s points of interest. They enjoyed a
boat trip to Catalina Island; enroute back to port,
Miss Mildred Turner had a thrilling experience
that she will long remember--that of losing her
hat when it blew off in the Pacific Ocean. They
also saw a portion of the Pacific Fleet which was
in port at San Pedro, Calif. The Turner family was
gone ten days.
Mr. Turner is a brother of W.G. and H. Turner and
Mrs. Nellie McCalley of Weston.”
What do you know about the town of Far West,
Weston’s connections to it and about the
‘Mormon Wars’?
Far West is in Caldwell County and close to the
town of Holt. The time was in the 1830’s when
Caldwell County was organized by the Missouri
Legislature and designated a county in which
Latter Day Saints were able to settle. Far West
was made the county seat and quickly became a
thriving community with about 100 buildings,
including eight stores. Some of the mercantile
businesses here in Weston did a fairly large
trade with them for a number of years. Later the
Weston merchants also traded with the
Mormons in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The town was laid out carefully in a square-mile
area with blocks 396 feet apart and four main
avenues, each about 132 feet wide emerging at
right angles from a public square. This section
was set aside and designated as a site for their
temple. But, the temple was never built. Due to
misunderstandings, fear, some jealousy and
other political problems, the ‘Mormon Wars’
erupted and in 1838 Gov. Boggs ordered the
Latter Day Saints out of Missouri.
Far West was destroyed by setting fire to it.
Clashes between the Saints and Missouri Militia
were heated and often fatal on both sides. In the
end, the Saints fled to Illinois. In Nauvoo their
leader, Joseph Smith, Jr. was killed and the
church split into several factions. The bigger
group left for the Utah territory and the smaller
group remained in the mid-West because they
believed their Zion was in Independence, Mo.
This group of Saints reorganized their church in
1852. In 1920, the headquarters of the
Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints was
established in Independence, Mo., where it
remains today.
Remnants of Far West remain and though no
buildings are left, the place itself has been
placed on the list of historical sites in Missouri
and it is a special place to all Latter Day Saints.
Lesson over.
Come see us at your museum, where you can
learn so much, much more. We’d love to see
your smiling faces at 601 Main St. here in
Weston. You can reach us by phone at 816-386-
2977 or me at 816-668-9986.
The Historic town of Weston has
many popular events scheduled
throughout the year.  
For more information
copyright 2009
Weston Historical Museum
By Carolyn A. Larsen, Curator

Did You Know
This week is something in the order of questions
and answers.
Did you know that the brick building, north of and
directly across from the old Laundromat was
Holladay owned it and he sold whiskey there by
the gallon. Customers had to bring their own
containers. Before that the building held Doppler’
s Grocery.
Did you know that the Railey Bros. Bank moved
four times before finally settling at the corner of
the St. George Hotel?
Did you know that the store Moore Blessings
was once a three-story building? Mettier built it in
1891 and he opened a billiard parlor on the first
floor as soon as the construction was finished.
Did you know about the three-story building, now
empty, at the S.E. corner of Main and Thomas? It
was known as the Ogden Building and about
1889 a strong wind hit Weston, taking off roofs,
blowing down signs, etc. It also caused Ogden
Building and in 1891 the floor was completely
removed and a new roof put on and thus it
remains a two-story building.
Did you know when the building on the corner of
Market and Main (now known as the Galleria)
burned along with the building next door--the
Masonic Hall--a man by the  name of Daniel Linn
burned to death in the fire? This was in early
1884. In December of that year the Masons
contracted to have a new building erected. It
would be several more years before the lot on
the corner would have a new building. At the
present time your writer knows little or nothing
about Daniel Linn.
Did you know that in 1935 Steele started a
restaurant where he once had had his
barbershop? Does anyone know where that
Did you know that Price’s Building on west
Thomas Street became, in 1916, Quinley’s
Poultry Business? In 1917 the place belonged to
A.L. McGhee who also did a Poultry Business
there. In 1918 the building belonged to Bert
Newton who, I believe, had a blacksmith shop on
the premises. In 1939 it became Dr. R.J. Felling’
s office and later became Bobbi’s Beauty Shop.
At one time it was also home to a dentist’s office.
Did you know Weston once had a sandwich
shop called “Judy’s”? It was run by Mr. and Mrs.
Fred Stalder and was where the 5Blessings
candle shop now resides. The Stalders were the
parents of Mrs. Hazel Campess and the
grandparents of Ms. Marion Monahan of Weston.
Did you know that the Main Street Livery and
Sales Stable stood where the Laundromat now
stands? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe
that Smokey Joe’s Sandwich Shop occupied that
space later.
Did you know that the site on which James
Farley is currently building an edifice was once
the site of Old Mac‘s on the Levee Hotel? It
burned in 1855 and was later rebuilt. The new
building once held a Candy Kitchen, a Bakery, an
Insurance Office, a boarding house and
apartments (all at different times). It burned in
1936 and the spot has remained barren until this
year as James started his construction. Before it
burned in 1936 two different owners were R.O.
Shenkner and later B.J. Bless.
We hope you’ll stop in at your museum to check
it all out. We’d love to see you.
The number for answers, questions, corrections,
etc. is 816-668-9986 and our location is 601
Main Street (on the N.W. corner of Main and
Drunken Kitchen
hours in Platte City working at the Archives there.
Currently I am putting all the cases of the Weston
Court of Common Pleas in to a database.
During the Court session of June1853 I found a
somewhat amusing, yet serious case. It was the
case of the City of Weston vs. Weston Kitchen,
Mr. Kitchen was charged with “destroying
religious worship”.
The scene of this offense was the Weston
Methodist Church, which then stood on Short
Street and was, I believe, a log cabin structure.
It seems Mr. Kitchen was somewhat inebriated
at the time of his offense. He entered the church
mid-way through the services and began to
shout at the minister and his parishioners. He
used “foul, blasphemous language” frightening
and upsetting the women and children. When
several men tried to escort the miscreant from
the premises, he leaned heavily against the front
door so that it could not be opened. Kitchen then
began to admonish the men about attempting to
throw him out of the “godly service”, thus denying
him the chance to have The Good Lord cleanse
him of his sins.
After a great deal of shouting, cussing,
beseeching, crying, etc. (on the part of both the
miscreant and the churchgoers I believe. There
is nothing in the file mentioning  what the
minister said or did during the entire fracas.)
Kitchen was finally subdued by a number of
men, carried out of the church and taken to the
town marshal.
The poor man spent the rest of the day in the
calaboose sobering up and on Monday went
before the court. His defense was that he
needed to talk to The Lord and “all those
sanctimonious do-gooders refused to let him do
The jury, of his peers, deemed that Mr. Weston
Kitchen’s “. . .conduct was calculated to disturb
the solemnity of a religious meeting on the night
of the 17th day of January 1853. . we find for the
Did he go back to church--sober, we hope--or did
he ever make his amends to one and all
including The Lord? Unfortunately, the case tells
us nothing more about Mr. Weston Kitchen and
his inebriated soul. He was fined. However there
was nothing telling us the amount of that fine or if
he spent more time in the calaboose.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe this was
the same upstanding fellow who later rode his
horse into another church in town, during the
services. Mr. Kitchen, in my observation, did
enjoy his liquid refreshment a bit too much.
No, at this time, you cannot find this case in your
museum. However we do have other humorous
documents within your museum. Do come in
and check them out--we’d love to see you there.
(Please check the horse and liquid refreshments
at the door. Thank you.)
Weston Historical Museum
601 Main Street - Weston, MO  64098
a German Lithograph painted late 1800's, depicts Weston, Mo when the town was a busy river port
Weekly columns written by a former curator
Carolyn Bless Larsen,

Click on the titles below left to read your past favorites!